Dr Joshua L Mann, PhD, MA, BA, FHEA
I am a Research Fellow at CODEC Research Centre for Digital Theology at the University of Durham (UK). I research areas within digital humanities and biblical studies. I am particularly interested in the hermeneutics of technology, i.e., how technology itself means and has politics.
- “What Is Opened in Luke 24:45, the Mind or the Scriptures?” Journal of Biblical Literature (in press).
- “How Bible Software Means” in Proceedings of the Digital Research in the Humanities and Arts Conference, DRHA2015, Dublin (forthcoming).
- “The (New) Exodus in Luke and Acts: An Appeal for Moderation,” in The Reverberations of the Exodus in Scripture (ed. R. Michael Fox; Oregon: Pickwick, 2014), 94–120.
- “The Rhetorical Function of Chiasmus in Acts 2:2–4,” Midwestern Journal of Theology 2/9.1 (2010): 66–77.
Conference Papers & Presentations:
- “Digital Forms of Scholarly Publications: Effective but Untrusted” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, San Antonio, USA, Nov. 2016.
- “Understanding the Messiah in Luke-Acts” New Testament Seminar, Dept. of Theology, University of Durham (invited), Feb. 2016.
- “Digital Paratextuality” Biblical Literacy in a Media Culture (St John’s College), Jan. 2016.
- “(re)Presenting Material Features of Biblical Texts on the Web” SBL Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Nov. 2015.
- “Surveillance and Religion” Roundtable Discussion, St John’s College, Durham University, Durham, Sept. 2015.
- “How Does Bible Software Affect the Meaning of Our Texts?” British New Testament Conference, Edinburgh, 3–5 Sept. 2015.
- “How Does Bible Software Mean?” Digital Research in the Humanities & Arts Conference 2015, Dublin, Sept. 2015.
- “From Scrolls to Scrolling: Making the Most of Shifting Modes of Scholarly Communication” The Emerging Humanities: Strategies for the Future, Durham University, Durham, 22 June 2015.
- “From Scrolls to Scrolling: The Bible’s Ever-Changing Medium and Layout” CODEC Research Seminar, Durham University, 28 May 2015 (invited).
- “Ignorance and Illumination in Luke-Acts: An Overview” Biblical Studies Research Seminar, New College, University of Edinburgh (invited), Nov. 2014
- “Illumination and Jewish Unbelief Depicted in Acts” British New Testament Conference, Manchester, Sept. 2014.
- “We’ve Got the Power”: How Bibliobloggers Can (and Should) Make the Most of Democratized Media” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, Baltimore, USA, Nov. 2013.
- “ἀνοίγω and διανοίγω in Luke and Acts: ‘Opening’ as a Narrative Motif ” British New Testament Conference, St. Andrews, Aug. 2013.
- “Chiasm in the New Testament: Its Use and Abuse” Society of Biblical Literature, International Meeting, St. Andrews, July 2013.